Accreditation Information

Institutional Accreditation
Wartburg College is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools (HLC). As part of maintaining its accreditation, Wartburg’s programs and processes are periodically reviewed to ensure institutional quality and integrity. Wartburg’s last review was in 2017 and its next review will be in 2026-27.

Higher Learning Commission
230 South LaSalle Street, Suite 7-500
Chicago, IL 60604-1411
Phone:  800.621.7440 / 312.263.0256
Fax:  312.263.7462 |

Students enrolled in Wartburg’s Education programs are eligible to sit for the state teacher licensing exam through the Iowa Board of Education Examiners prior to starting their student teaching experience.

Iowa Board of Educational Examiners
Grimes State Office Building
400 East 14th Street
Des Moines, IA 50319-0147
Phone:  515.281.3245

Social Work
The Bachelor of Arts degree in Social Work is accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE).

Council on Social Work Education
1701 Duke Street, Suite 200
Alexandria, VA 22314
Phone:  703.683.8080 | Fax:  703.683.8099 |

The Bachelor of Arts in Music, Bachelor of Music Education, Bachelor of Music in Performance, Bachelor of Music Education in Music Therapy, and the Bachelor of Music in Music Therapy programs are accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music (NASM).

National Association of Schools of Music
11250 Roger Bacon Drive, Suite 21
Reston, VA 20190
Phone:  703.437.0700 | Fax:  703.437.6312 |

The Bachelor of Music in Music Therapy and the Bachelor of Music Education in Music Therapy programs are approved by the American Music Therapy Association (AMTA).

American Music Therapy Association
8455 Colesville Road, Suite 1000
Silver Spring, MD 20910
Phone:  301.589.3300 | Fax: 301.589.5175

Professional Licensure Disclosures
Wartburg College offers academic programs leading to degrees in a number of fields for which professional practice requires license or certification by state, local, or professional boards. The curricula in these programs have been designed to be consistent with recognized professional and national standards, as well as the standards set forth by the Iowa licensing boards governing each of these disciplines. However, the requirements of the state boards and licensing agencies vary greatly over time and from state to state. Therefore, Wartburg College makes no representation, warranty, or guarantee that successful completion of the degree or certificate program will permit or guarantee that a state board or licensing agency will accept a graduate’s application for licensure. No statement made at any time by any member of the Wartburg faculty or any other representative of Wartburg shall be deemed to be such a representation, warranty, or commitment.

Wartburg College has been approved by the state of Iowa to participate in the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (NC-SARA). NC-SARA is an agreement among member states that establishes comparable national standards for interstate offering of postsecondary distance education courses and programs. It is intended to make it easier for students to take online courses offered by postsecondary institutions based in another state. If you relocate during the course of the program to another state, it may impact whether you can continue in the program and meet eligibility requirements. If you are considering relocating, you should contact the individual department to determine how it will impact licensing.

The Wartburg College academic programs listed below are designed to prepare students for a career in a licensed profession upon completion of the program. A professional license is typically required for graduates of these programs to practice and/or gain employment in these fields. If you are considering applying to one of these programs, please select the program tab for more information regarding educational requirements for professional licensure in the U.S. states, commonwealths, and territories.

Music Therapy
Music Therapy is the clinical and evidence-based use of music interventions to accomplish individualized goals within a therapeutic relationship by a credentialed professional who has completed an approved music therapy program. Wartburg College is an accredited, institutional member of the National Association of Schools of Music and the American Music Therapy Association. Students can complete a Bachelor of Music Education/Music Therapy (BME-MT) degree, which leads to licensure in K-12 music education and becoming a Board Certified Music Therapist or The Bachelor of Music in Music Therapy (BM-MT) in the state of Iowa, which includes the coursework in social work and opportunities for minor concentrations. 

Teacher Education
Degree or endorsement programs offered by the Wartburg College education department prepare students for licensure as educators and are designed to meet the licensure standards set by the Iowa Department of Education. The Wartburg College Department of Education has not yet determined whether a particular degree or endorsement program meets the requirements for licensure in all 50 states. Students seeking licensure in a state outside of Iowa are advised to review the state list for Teacher Education licensure.

Optional Professional Licensure Programs
An optional professional certification/designation is not a requirement for graduates to be employed in some fields. The Wartburg College academic programs that can lead to optional professional certification/designation are listed below. If you are considering applying to one of these programs, please select the program tab for more information regarding optional professional certifications/designations.

Social Work
There are three different types of social work licenses in Iowa: the Licensed Bachelor Social Worker (LBSW), the Licensed Master Social Worker (LMSW), and the Licensed Independent Social Worker (LISW). Note that people with bachelor’s degrees in social work can be hired for social work jobs in Iowa and they are not required to be licensed. However, becoming licensed as a bachelor’s-level social worker may help enhance your application for social work positions. Additional information on licensing and educational paths can be found on this Social Work Guide to Licensure website. If you are interested in learning more about licensure within this field, you may review the state list for Social Work licensure.

Obtaining and Reviewing Accreditation and/or Licensure Documentation
To request additional information related to Wartburg College’s accreditation, and to obtain or review documents describing accreditation, approval, or licensing, please contact Sally Malcolm | | 319.352.8284.