Executive Chef Jami Dare's table at the Chefs Take a Stand competition.

Executive Chef Jami Dare’s table at the Chefs Take a Stand competition.

Chef Jami Dare, Wartburg College’s executive chef, recently won the 10th annual Chefs Take a Stand competition with a candied bacon BLT on toasted rosemary focaccia.

“I made a similar sandwich when I owned a bar and grill in New Orleans. One of our customers requested a BLT, so I used what we had in the kitchen to create this beauty. He was in a jazz band called Mo’ Better Blues so it was named after him on our menu – the Mo’ Better BLT,” Dare said. “I have since added the brown sugar to candy the bacon, and the rosemary focaccia is the perfect accent to this delicious sandwich.”

The event, a fundraiser for Friends of the Family programs that help those in crisis due to domestic violence, sexual assault, human trafficking and homelessness, featured food from several Cedar Valley chefs. Dare also won the title in 2023.

“My mother has volunteered with Friends of the Family for years, so it was initially in her honor. Since that time, I have been working with the staff there in a number of capacities, so now it’s a matter of doing whatever I can to help this amazing charity,” she added.

Wartburg College offers several dining and catering options. For more information, visit www.wartburg.edu/dining.