Osterdock Winter by Fred Easker

Osterdock Winter by Fred Easker

The work of Fred and Velga Easker is on display in the college’s Waldemar A. Schmidt Art Gallery through Dec. 8. The exhibit, “Divergent Visions,” features traditional oil paintings as well as mixed media collages. A reception and gallery talk with the artists will be Thursday, Nov. 16, 6-7:30 p.m. This event is free and open to the public. Refreshments also will be served. “Making a painting is a nearly meditative experience. I linger, I discover and I savor the visual delights that emerge as I try to look into rather than at the images that are the basis of my work,” said Fred Easker. “I present them with precision and craftsmanship so that the painting can become a guide for others into the discernible and subtle wonder available in the natural world.” Fred Easker has been painting full-time since 1994. He previously served as an art instructor in the Linn-Mar Community School District, an assistant director of the Cedar Rapids Art Center, and a director of the Marion Historical Museum Inc. Velga Easker was born in Valmiera, Latvia, and worked for the Iowa Department of Human Services. “I get excited about exploring the creative possibilities of unexpected medium, the discards of our throwaway culture,” she said. “I am currently digging into coffee sleeves and junk mail to discover new combinations and inventive images that make a statement.” Guests are invited to explore the show during daily hours, 9 a.m.-7 p.m. Guests also are invited to follow the gallery on Instagram (@waldemarschmidtgallery) for exhibition information and gallery content. The exhibit is free and open to the public. For more information, visit www.wartburg.edu/gallery.