Addison Wells

Addison Wells

Addison Wells, a 2023 Waterloo West High School graduate, is the recipient of Wartburg College’s R.J. McElroy Minority Scholarship.

Wells, the daughter of Brad and Molly Wells, has not yet declared a major but is interested in environmental science, chemistry, exercise science and sports marketing and management.

“Addison is able to take on so much with grace and positivity. She is very focused, communicates well with everyone and works proactively to eliminate chances for failure,” wrote Alex Conyers, Wells’ chemistry teacher. “I believe that she has a very bright future ahead.”

In addition to her high academic achievements, Wells was a five-year member of the West High softball team and will continue to play for the Knights. She also ran track, sang in the choir and danced at Fusion Dance and Performing Arts Studio throughout elementary, middle and high school. She coached a youth softball team for one year and continues to mentor younger athletes.

“I hope to continue to use softball to connect with youth while at Wartburg. I am hoping to get my coaching license so that I can assist the teams in the surrounding areas when I can,” she said. “I am also hoping to continue my involvement in music. Though I have not committed to a choir at this time, I am hoping to at least see a few concerts, help out with a couple events and keep myself surrounded by the music community.”

Jamie Van Erem, a parent volunteer coach for the West High softball team, said Wells, who was a two-year team captain, “leads by action.”

“She does not expect others to do something she herself is not already doing,” Van Erem wrote. “You will find anything that is associated with Addison Wells to be done with respect, class, honor, hard work and be top notch.”

Wells is excited for the next step at Wartburg, where she feels confident the small class sizes will enable her to actively engage in her education.

“This scholarship will help me succeed not only by providing me significant financial aid that will allow me to focus on my studies and explore a variety of majors, but also by introducing me to a group of incoming students and mentors who will become one of my main support systems at Wartburg,” she said. “This scholarship also grants me access to resources that will allow me to begin my time at Wartburg with a more prepared and confident mindset and set me up for success as I become a more established member of the Wartburg community.”

McElroy, a pioneer Iowa broadcaster who died in 1965, made a provision in his will for the establishment of a trust fund, the proceeds of which were to be used for the educational benefit of deserving young people. Wartburg College annually partners with the R.J. McElroy Trust to award a full-tuition scholarship to students from the Waterloo-Cedar Falls area. Awards are renewable up to four years.