Katie Kreis (left) and McKenzie Kielman
Katie Kreis (left) and McKenzie Kielman

By Katie Hirv ’22

When Katie Kreis ’19 and McKenzie Kielman ’18 met at their SOAR Day before their freshman year, they didn’t know that the chance encounter would develop into a long-lasting friendship.

“We kind of just hit it off! We were in the same groups doing journalism and communication things. She was just kinda like, ‘Hey, do you want to be roommates?’ And I was like, ‘Yes, I do!’ It was great. I didn’t know anyone and she was a local (to Waverly). We had a similar enthusiasm for what we were doing,” said Kreis.

As journalism and communication majors at Wartburg, both Kreis and Kielman were exposed to countless hands-on experiences and engaged in coursework and discussions with journalism and communication faculty regarding media within our society today and its impacts on media consumers.

“I would not have the framework of understanding that I do without my time at Wartburg College, specifically in the Department of Journalism & Communication. Our professors created spaces to explore and exchange ideas and made sure that these important industry discussions on ethics were included alongside the technical skills,” Kielman said.

She Said podcast logo

Kreis is a program associate at the University of Northern Iowa Family Business Center. Kielman is a program manager at the State Public Policy Group in Des Moines. Both have stayed in touch as they’ve started their marketing and communication careers, which eventually led to the initial idea to launch a podcast together.

“One day, Mackenzie and I were Snapchatting about some obscure dream of owning a business together or working together. I said we should start a podcast, and she was all for it. Then we had a meeting call and both had exactly the same ideas for what we wanted to do and the same look for our graphics in mind,” Kreis said. “We didn’t see a lot of people (in the media) who were in the same positions as us talking about post-grad life, this weird transition or setting goals for yourself in the middle of your career between graduating college and retirement. What does that look like? We don’t know. Hopefully, we can find some answers or at least some comfort in that.”

Kreis and Kielman’s podcast, She Said, officially launched on Sept. 4, 2020, with their mission statement emphasizing the muses and musings of great women thinkers and doers so their experiences may be shared, considered, and felt by all.

“I hope our listeners first and foremost are getting a sense of the community that we’re building and connecting to broader communities that they are a part of. We really aim to be a part of a coalition that embraces change, diversity, and inclusion. In addition to that, I hope people walk away with a sense that their thoughts matter,” said Kielman.

Since Kreis and Kielman are physically distanced from one another, they use technology to keep connected and on the same page before they record.

“Sunday nights, we Zoom for an hour or two and just chat about whatever topic we have planned. We combined our notes in a Google document,  I do the editing, then McKenzie will listen to it to review and edit the episode. It’s a passion project for us, but it’s also an opportunity for us to just kind of let go. It actually served us well during the pandemic,” Kreis said.

In addition to launching the podcast, becoming co-hosts has allowed Kreis and Kielman to grow even closer than before.

“It (the podcast) is meaningful and worthwhile because I did it with such an engaged thinking partner. It’s the act of having conversation. There are podcasts that interview people, but to have a co-host and comrade like I do in Katie makes it so much more meaningful and worthwhile,” Kielman said. “I love that the basis of our mission is the human experience. I think that has really helped me slow down, absorb and be present with those I do get to hear from and interact with. I think that has been really, really special. It’s my space to reflect as well as share.”

Their podcast, She Said, is available on all major music and podcast streaming platforms, with new episodes uploaded regularly. Their podcast also has Twitter and Instagram accounts (@_shesaidpodcast), where they post content regarding their episodes.