By Katie Hirv ’22

Where are you from?
I was born in Iowa, but raised in Italy (Sicily and Northern Italy). When I was 18, I returned to the States for college.

What is your educational background?
While in Italy, I attended a Department of Defense school. Upon returning to the States, I attended Iowa State University for my B.A. in Women’s Studies and I attended the University of Iowa for my Ph.D. in Religious Studies.

Why were you excited for this academic year?
I am really happy about being in the classroom with students again, even with the masks and extra distancing restrictions. I find that being in the classroom restores a sense of connection that was difficult to keep up in the spring of 2020. I’m also really looking forward to learning about this new community and its traditions. I’m excited about participating in efforts to strengthen diversity and inclusion on campus and to grow professionally.

Abbylynn Helgevold
Abbylynn Helgevold

What has been your favorite course or topic to teach and why?
I love teaching all things ethics-related because ethics brings us right into the thick of diverse views about what we value and why and about how we ought to be and why – it draws us into a rich encounter with our humanity. I love working with students along the way as they raise new questions and make new discoveries. One of my favorite courses in particular was a course I taught at my previous institution (University of Northern Iowa) in Religious Ethics on Love in the Moral Life. We examined ways of thinking about the nature and requirements of love from the perspectives of Christian, Jewish and Buddhist thinkers. The great thing about that class was that it was both a great opportunity to develop an appreciation for cultural diversity and distinctiveness and the course material and class discussions were deeply connected to students’ lives.

How has your time at Wartburg been so far?
Really positive. New colleagues and students have been helpful, kind and gracious as I learn about a new institution and about how to work things in this new environment. I had heard before arriving that Wartburg was a supportive place and my experience so far definitely confirms that.

What do you enjoy doing in your free time?
When I can find the time, I really enjoy cooking and sharing food with other people. One thing  I really miss is being able to get together with friends to share a meal. An essential piece of the cooking experience also involves listening to music, which is also very important to me. I also enjoy sharing the experience of getting into a good book with my whole family. We usually take turns reading aloud or listening to an audio book. Right now we are going through a series titled The Unwanteds

What is something you feel very passionate about?
I am very passionate about education and the value of education for a meaningful and well-lived life, in addition to the value of education for a healthy democratic society. I am deeply disturbed by inequities in education that undermine people’s ability to thrive, which is something that all should have the opportunity to experience.

Who is someone you look up to as a role model? Why do you look up to them?
I look up to my grandmother. She is a person with a strong desire to learn and to think. Despite several experiences during which she was told to submit to someone else’s view of things, she always found a way to keep learning and asking big questions.

Do you have any pets?
I have too many pets! In our family, we have two cats. One is named Toast and the other is named Marshmallow. We also have a bearded dragon named Spike and two ferrets. One is named Cattivo and the other is named Little Bear.

What advice would you give to students today?
I think we sometimes trick ourselves into thinking that our worth as a person is tied to things like success or honors and accomplishments. Because of this, we often try to avoid the risk of failure at all costs. We either choose paths that we know will guarantee success for us or we spend a ton of energy trying to give the impression that we’ve got everything together. As a result, we may miss out on rich and meaningful learning experiences or on establishing meaningful connections with others. It is worth it to risk learning something new or stepping out of your comfort zone – trying, failing, learning, struggling, commiserating and building each other up is the stuff of life. It is also important to remember each of us is living a life that is bigger and more valuable than our accomplishments alone.