By Katie Kreis ’19

As an educator and former coach, Paul Mugan ’91 is no stranger to connecting students with Wartburg. Six of his many referrals are current Knights, and he actively seeks out students he can envision thriving at Wartburg.

“I learned about the Alumni Referral Award before most because I was on the Alumni Board at the time,” said the Waverly-Shell Rock High School biology teacher. “We learned details that made me realize what the college can very easily do to have dramatic positive effects. Just looking around that room, there were many people who were going to have the opportunity to refer so many kids.”

One of those effects is encouraging students like Jayme Willemssen ’22 to commit to a college that is close to home.

“I was looking at a lot of other colleges, but when Mugan referred me, I was starting to get pretty serious about coming to Wartburg,” said Willemssen, an exercise science major from Waverly. “It was probably the start of my turning point. I had more of those conversations with Mugan about Wartburg. The science program really interested me. I knew it was challenging and would prepare me well.”

Willemssen was referred by two alumni — Mugan and Mark Hubbard ’01 — a special feature of the Alumni Referral Award. Though she cannot receive extra financial compensation for multiple referrals, Willemssen gained an alumni connection that drives many students to take their education even more seriously.

“There are all sorts of positives for Wartburg in terms of attracting candidates and retaining those I refer,” said Mugan. “Because now, it’s not just me and my family connected to Wartburg. It’s a student who knows I’ve spoken up for them. Students see that their award has my name on it, and they don’t want to let me down.”

This is especially true for Willemssen, who keeps in contact with Mugan and Hubbard.

“It makes me feel really good that they think so highly of me, because I think really highly of them,” said Willemssen. “I keep in touch, but it’s hard to see them all the time. Paul came to a couple volleyball games, so I saw him there, and I see Mark around town from time to time.”

Jayme Willemssen
Sam Bast

Mugan participates actively in the referral process, seeking out seniors who are interested in Wartburg.

“As a high school teacher, the kids know that I’ve been referring them,” said Mugan. “About the time when kids have made their applications, I go to the counselor to tell me who’s actually sent their transcripts to Wartburg. I get those, look at that list, and then go talk to those kids. This year someone had come to me before I even contacted the counselor.”

One of those students is Sam Bast ’22, who initiated the Wartburg conversation with Mugan.

“I was in engineering class and was goofing off on Twitter,” said Bast, an engineering science major from Waverly. “Mr. Mugan was doing a competition with other people about getting the most referrals, so I casually sent him an email saying I would love it if he could do that for me. I didn’t do it just for the money — I thought it might help him win the competition, too.”

Bast wasn’t considering Wartburg until he stepped foot on campus and realized the financial aid he would receive. He then discovered the engineering science major, met professors, and realized he was a small-school person.

“I was pretty sure I was coming to Wartburg,” said Bast. “The final thoughts were about cost overall, and the Alumni Referral Award definitely helped.”

In Winter Term, he was involved with Homecoming Committee, Students UKnight, Ritterchor, Cedar Valley Today, student mentoring, and worked in Neumann Auditorium and Mensa.

As a member of Wartburg’s Alumni Board and a former tutor and tight end coach for the Knights, Mugan said his decision to refer students revolves largely around service and building relationships.

“Some of my greatest relationships and my greatest memories of Wartburg were when I was helping someone else,” said Mugan. “As a student, you have to find a way in your world to be of service, to be helpful. You extend yourself a little bit beyond what’s expected of you, and you may not think it pays off. Imagine, though, what I would do for you knowing you made an extra effort for me.”