Aryn Jones ’18

Aryn Jones ’18
Biology
Volleyball, basketball

2017-18 honors: Volleyball: IIAC MVP and CoSIDA Academic All-District; Basketball: Second-team All-Conference

After graduation: Pursuing doctorate in physical therapy, University of Iowa

How did your coaches stress academics to you?

The thing I kept hearing over and over is that you are a student then an athlete. All four years, when finals rolled around the coaches always made sure we understood that was a priority. They held a standard with how you should be performing in the classroom so you can perform on the court.

Were there times your coaches let you modify your schedule to accommodate an academic pursuit?

Both my Creighton and University of Iowa interviews were during volleyball on back-to-back weekends. We were playing in Des Moines the weekend of my Creighton interview, so I was able to leave right after the game with my mom to get there for that. The Iowa interview was actually during the conference tournament, so I just met the team at the tournament right before our game time. They just make it work.

Aryn Jones

Do you feel like you made a good choice coming to Wartburg, playing two sports, and majoring in biology?

Most definitely! I like to stay busy. People look at me like I’m crazy, as in doing what I did was more than busy, but if people hadn’t supported me for four years I wouldn’t have done it. There was more reward than cost with it. All the people I’ve met, the places I’ve been able to go, and the growth I’ve seen academically, I feel I am well prepared for my next step.

What was the athletic highlight of your Wartburg career?

It would have to be travel in general. I’ve been to Spain, Nashville, California, Florida, and Virginia as our big trips. We are able to do a lot of sightseeing on those trips.

And academically?

My anatomy and physiology class was so much work, but it was so rewarding. It was one of my favorite contents to study. That was one of the classes that helped me grow the most as a student.