Boys and girls will enjoy playing indoor soccer in this program typically taught by Wartburg soccer players. Emphasis is on motor-skill development, encouraging team play, sportsmanship, and learning basic soccer rules. This program fills up fast so sign up early!
- Dates: Saturdays, Jan. 12-Feb. 2
- 8-10 years: 8:30-9:20 a.m., Code: IS1
- 6-8 years: 9:30-10:20 a.m., Code: IS2
- 4-6 years: 10:30-11:20 a.m., Code: IS3
- Deadline: Wednesday, Jan. 9
- Location: Carey School (site subject to change)
- Enrollment: Minimum 6, Maximum 15
- Fee: $32
Early Out and No-School Days in Waverly
The W will open the fieldhouse from 2 to 3 p.m. for W-SR students 12 and older on planned no-school and early dismissal days as well as for official school weather cancellations during the fall and winter. The pool will open at 3 p.m. on planned no-school and early dismissal days and for official school weather cancellations from Oct. 29-Dec. 14, and Jan. 7-March 29. Cost is $5 for guests.
Fun Zone/Fun Zone Friday
Preschool-aged children are invited to The W every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, 9 -11 a.m., from the last week of October through the end of March for Fun Zone. Two fieldhouse courts will be transformed into an indoor park where kids can run, play, and burn off energy. The program is free for members and $1 for nonmember children. Adults are free. In addition, one Friday a month The W will host Fun Zone Friday in the pool from 10 to 11 a.m., for just $2 for nonmembers. Pool days will be Nov. 16, Dec. 14, Jan. 25, Feb. 22, and March 29.
Start Smart Sports Development Program
Is your child ready for sports? Start Smart will help children prepare for organized sports without the threat of competition or the fear of getting hurt. Start Smart is an instructional program during which a parent/ guardian works together with his or her child to learn the basic motor skills necessary for sports participation. Parent-child groups will rotate through various motorskill stations like throwing, catching, and kicking. This is a great program to introduce different sports to your child. Sports skills introduced include baseball/softball, basketball, golf, volleyball, soccer, and many more!
- Dates: Saturdays, Jan. 26-Feb. 16
- 2-3 years: 9-9:45 a.m., Code: SS1
- 4-5 years: 10-10:45 a.m., Code: SS2
- Deadline: Wednesday, Jan. 23
- Location: The W (site subject to change)
- Enrollment: Minimum 4, Maximum 10
- Fee: $28
This program, taught by Wartburg golfers, introduces kids to golf and develops the skills of more experienced golfers. Participants will utilize the indoor golf space at The W, learning basic swing and putting skills along with other golf fundamentals. Kids can bring their own clubs or use clubs provided by The W. Number of participants is limited, and the program filled up last year!
- Dates: Saturdays, Feb. 9-23
- 6-7 years: 9-9:45 a.m., Code: G1, Fee: $25
- 8-9 years: 10-11 a.m., Code: G2, Fee: $30
- 10-11 years: 11 a.m.-noon, Code: G3, Fee: $30
- Deadline: Wednesday, Feb. 6
- Location: The W
- Enrollment: Minimum 4, Maximum 12
Sponsored by the Wartburg College Volleyball Team This class will introduce volleyball fundamentals and skills. It will focus on individual player development, including passing, serving, hitting, and defense. Participants also will play some 3-on-3, 4-on-4, and 6-on6 games. Players will be trained by current Wartburg volleyball athletes and have a chance to attend a Wartburg College spring volleyball practice.
- Dates: Saturdays, March 16-30
- 7-9 years: 8-9 a.m., Code: VB1, Fee: $25
- 10-12 years: 9-10 a.m., Code: VB2, Fee: $25
- Deadline: Wednesday, March 13
- Location: The W (site subject to change)
- Enrollment: Minimum 6, Maximum 20
The W Shinkyudo Karate Kids’ Classes
Frank Martinez, instructor
The martial arts offer a blend of benefits, including physical fitness, awareness, self-control, discipline, self-confidence, and self-defense. The classes are available to children age 6 or older.
- Register ONLINE!
- Code: KAR + number of corresponding month
Example: KAR9 = September, KAR10 = October
- Day/Time: Monday/Thursday, 6:30-7:30 p.m.
- Fee: $30/month payable at beginning of each month’s session
- Dates: Year-round with monthly sign-up
- Place: The W, Aerobics Room
- Enrollment: Minimum 6, maximum 20
- Contact: Frank Martinez at 319-352-9038 or Martinez@newoldwaykarate.com
- Learn more at www.newoldwaykarate.com