By Katie Kreis ’19

With its financial assistance and focus on alumni relationships, the Alumni Referral Award made the decision to attend Wartburg a little sweeter for Grace Roseen ’22.

“I had already decided this was where I wanted to go, but it made it even a little better because every little thing helps with the expenses,” said the neuroscience and psychology double major from Chippewa Falls, Wis. “I’m thankful for the program because it’s been a good way for me to get even closer to those alumni.”

Roseen was referred by Deb Harms Olson ’78 as soon as the referral program was initiated in 2017. Olson and her husband met Roseen at church and began talking to her about Wartburg. After the couple became her mentors, Olson continued suggesting that Roseen visit campus.

“I knew that she was looking at Wartburg, so right away I thought about her as someone I could refer,” said Olson, a retired first-grade teacher. “Grace’s family goes to our church, and she’s in a fellowship group that we started playing cards with. It’s intergenerational. She was 13, and we had people who were 85 who liked to come and play. She would come with her grandparents and parents, so we really got to know her. She’s a great kid. I’m glad that Wartburg has been a good fit for her. I kind of thought it would be.”

Grace Roseen

Already in her time at Wartburg, Roseen has ventured into organizations, experiences, and opportunities she never dreamed of.

“My favorite part has been meeting so many new people and being able to talk to professors,” said Roseen. “That is something I really wanted when I picked a school, because I like to ask one-on-one questions and have explanations. With soccer, I haven’t been homesick, because I’ve been super busy and am having a good time. I had never even heard of Dance Marathon before I came here, so that was a really cool thing to be part of. The children’s hospitals have helped a lot of people I know, so it’s cool to be able to hear other stories and help out with that. I am also in the Scholars Program, so I’m looking forward to working closely with professors doing the research I want.”

Olson remembers the expense of college tuition and understands that her contribution helped set Roseen up for success.

“I figure every little bit helps. One way to show students that I support them going to this college is helping them in some way,” said Olson. “It’s great for the students who might go there to know that I recommend them and am supporting their education, and Wartburg is also invested in them. It’s important for Wartburg to bring in students and help support them however they can, so through the Alumni Referral Award, we can work together as a team to get kids in a great place where they can get their education.”

Roseen and Olson still make a point to connect whenever possible to talk about Wartburg, and Olson is excited to refer more high school students through the Alumni Referral Award program.