The Bowmans

LEGACY FAMILY_bowman cover

The Bowmans

Emma Bowman ’19 came to Wartburg to play basketball and continue a family athletics tradition. 

“My dad’s family has five of seven siblings who came here. My uncle Brad came first and played sports, and my dad (Brian Bowman ’89) played sports, and so did my aunts.” But during her first Wartburg open gym, Emma tore her ACL. “I was worried I would disappoint my dad that I couldn’t play anymore, but he was so supportive.” 

Emma pivoted in a new direction, growing in her passion for service, including an internship with a social work agency in Australia. “One of the greatest aspects of the Wartburg experience is the ability to be involved in many different activities,” said her mother, Lori Brockman Bowman ’93 of Des Moines. “We were proud to see Emma continue to be involved in sports briefly and through many other activities and experiences she is developing similar leadership and teamwork skills.” 

LEGACY FAMILY_young photos2

Emma became involved with Best Buddies, a student organization that builds one-on-one friendships with those who have an intellectual or physical disability, and she is now the group’s president. 

“I remember coming to Homecoming as a kid, going to Ren Faire and the parade,” said Emma. “And now with Best Buddies, I get to have a table at Ren Faire and say hi to the kids.”  

With so many uncles and aunts connected to Wartburg, Emma was often the child tagging along to Homecoming and other campus events while growing up. She absorbed all the family lore, including the importance of Room 143 in Vollmer Hall. Lori was a sophomore living there when she first met Brian, and Emma’s aunt Susan Huth Bowman ’84 lived in the same room a few years earlier when she met future husband Brad Bowman ’85, a brother of Brian’s. 

Her senior year of high school, Emma visited multiple schools before deciding to attend Wartburg. 

“It’s always felt like home, and I never felt pressure about coming here, but I made my own decision,” she said. And her alumni parents were happy she chose the college for many of the same reasons they had years earlier. 

“We hoped that she would have wonderful experiences and adventures like we did,” said Lori. “Many of the fun traditions from our time are still holding true, like Outfly. It’s fun to see how things have transformed from our time at Wartburg, such as the facilities and residence halls.” 

For Brian, who was an associate director of admissions and assistant baseball coach from 1990 to 1997, many connections have been rekindled now that Emma is a student. “It has been so fun traveling to different sporting events and seeing other parents that attended Wartburg with us or that Brian recruited,” said Lori. “There really is a Wartburg family that you take with you.”