The group was founded in 1950 by Dr. E. Arne Hovdesven, renown composer and arranger, as the Chapel Choir. Dr. Hovdesven was an associate of the Royal College of Organists of London and a fellow of the Canadian College of Organists. Before coming to Wartburg, he was the choirmaster and organ recitalist at Mercersberg Gothic Chapel in Pennsylvania and served as organist-in-residence at Wittenberg College, Springfield, Ohio.
Dr. James Fritschel, also a nationally recognized composer and arranger, was director from 1959-1971. During this time, the group's name changed to Wartburg Castle Singers and the focus of the group became music and drama. Franklin Williams became director from 1971-1978. During his tenure the group traveled abroad to the former U.S.S.R.
For the next decade there was a great deal of director transition that occurred. During this time Kristi Becker (1978-1980), Eugene T. Wilson, Jr. (1980-1981), Franklin Williams (1981-1984), and Gayle Hartwig (1984-1987) conducted the Castle Singers.
In 1987, Dr. Paul Torkelson helped give the group stability and built on its traditions and performance experiences. During his tenure the group made several trips abroad including Western Europe and Australia.
Since 2001 Dr. Jane Andrews has taken the group to new levels of jazz excellence. Her initiative started the annual Wartburg Vocal Jazz Festival. During her time at Wartburg, the group has appeared at numerous regional, state, and local events and festivals.