St. Elizabeth Week Events
Nov. 16-22, 2013
- Clothing Drive in Res Halls
- Boxes will be located in: all student dorm lounges & outside of den in the student center. The drive will run from Sunday night through Thursday
- Thanksgiving Food Moderation Pledge
- Sign the banner outside of the Mensa to make your pledge to eat moderately during this Thanksgiving season in the remembrance of people who will be going hungry.
- St. Lizzie’s Sleep Out: 8:00pm – 8:00am (Chapel Commons)
- Come experience what it’s like to be homeless and have fun while doing it! Be a part of the St. Lizzie's Sleep Out by making your own shelter for the night out of a cardboard box. We will be sleeping in Chapel Commons. Join us on Saturday, November 16th from 8:00 PM to 8:00 AM in the chapel and bring a canned good and another donation. Donation ideas are: gently used scarves, hats, gloves, mittens, earmuffs, boots, winter jackets, and snow pants. Donations will be given to organizations in the Cedar Valley. Please RSVP at: http://www.doodle.com/sasuzsxfb5pkherc
- MANNA NE Iowa Food Bank trip
- Contact MANNA if interested at firstname.lastname@example.org
- St. Elizabeth’s week Chapel
- Poster Making: 11:30am-12:30pm (Chapel Commons) & 5-7pm (Cardinal Commons)
- Stop by to create a poster to be displayed throughout the week that promotes the mission of St. Elizabeth Week.
- CROP Walk - walk registration begins at 1 and the walk starts at 1:30 until 3:00
- NE Iowa Food Bank Plastic Bag Dorm Storm: 7-9pm (Res Halls)
- Gather your plastic bags to donate to the NE Iowa Food Bank. If you do not live on campus, feel free to bring bags to the OrangeCorps Office (Hub 171)
- NE Iowa Food Bank Stop N’ Serve: 11:30am-1:00pm (McCoy East)
- Each week the food bank uses hundreds of bags for meal packages for the elderly and children. Stop in to help prepare the bags for distribution whether you can stay for three minutes or thirty minutes.
- 30 Hour fast begins
- Worldwide 925 million people are hungry. Every day an estimated 7,000 children under age 5 — or one every 13 seconds — die due to hunger-related causes. (www.worldvision.org). The 30-Hour Fast gives students a chance to help overcome hunger by going without food so others don’t have to. For more information, email email@example.com.
- St. Elizabeth Week Chapel & Award Ceremony
- Celebrate the week dedicated to service during this special chapel. Awards to be presented include the Pastor Larry Trachte Award for Service, St. Elizabeth Student Award for Service, and the Community Partner Award. St. Elizabeth chorale will be performing special music during this time.
- Famine Feast 7:30pm (WBC Room 116)
- Contact MANNA at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information
- Volunteer serving a meal at the Vineyard: 5:30-6:30pm
- Contact the VAC at email@example.com if interested
- Voices of the Issues panel: 11:30am (Lyceum)
- Hunger and homelessness is present in our own community. Come engage in dialogue with those who work closely with people experiencing these situations.
- OrangeBand Round Table Discussion: 5:30pm (Heritage Ballroom)
- What issue will you take a stand for? Share your views and listen to the views of others through intentional conversations about things that really matter in our society today. Feel free to bring your meal from the Mensa to this event.
- Donated Items Drop-off
- If you are interested in helping us personally deliver items that have been collected throughout the week to the various agencies, please contact the VAC at firstname.lastname@example.org