Qualified students with disabilities are protected from unlawful discrimination by Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (Section 504) and Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), as amended. The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) and its Individualized Education Plan (IEP) provisions do not apply to postsecondary schools.
Wartburg College provides reasonable accommodations to qualified students with disabilities in order to provide them with equal access to class and course materials.
Accommodations will not be provided when such accommodations fundamentally alter the nature of the service, program, or activity. In other words, accommodations will not be provided that eliminate or lower essential course and degree requirements.
Additionally, Wartburg College does not provide the following accommodations: personal attendants or coaches, individually prescribed devices (hearing aids, glasses, etc.), readers for personal use or study (tutors, typists, etc.) or any other accommodation personal in nature.
To receive accommodations, students need to self-identify as having a disability and provide valid and current documentation supporting such disability to Kelly Beck, Pathways Academic Success Associate.
Syllabus Statement for Faculty
- Syllabus Statement (PDF)
- Kurzweil 3000--a Reading, Writing and Learning Software Program for Students with Learning Disabilities, Dyslexia, or Attention Deficit Disorders. Available in Pathways Center
- Faculty Guide (PDF)
- Going to College: A Resource for Teens
- Students with Disabilities Preparing for Postsecondary Education: Know Your Rights and Responsibilities--link to article from OCR
- Support for Accommodation Request (SAAR)--for AEA Consultants/Special Education Teachers ONLY (DOC)
- Directions to Complete SAAR--for AEA Consultants/Special Education Teachers ONLY (PDF)
- IEP or 504 Plan Information (PDF)
- Disability Law Handbook(PDF), a publication of DBTAC Southwest ADA Center
- Scholarships for Students with Disabilities (PDF)
- Tips for persons with disabilities to get federal jobs (PDF)
- US Dept. of Labor/Office of Disability Employment Policy
- Connecting the Disability Community to Information and Opportunities