Wartburg College Meistersinger Music Scholarships recognize and encourage talented student musicians who also thrive on Wartburg's academic challenges. These scholarships are renewable for four years. Awards range in size up to $5,000 annually in vocal, keyboard, and instrumental music. Each year, Wartburg awards more than $500,000 in music scholarships.
2015-16 Audition Dates
- Nov. 14
- Jan. 16
- Feb. 5
- Feb. 20
- Audition Information (PDF)
Open to Instrumental, Vocal, and Keyboard (Piano and Organ)
- Students should prepare two contrasting pieces. Memorization is required for Meistersinger vocal scholarship auditions. Vocalists will be asked to sight read as a part of their audition. Selections must be accompanied by piano. (Recorded accompaniments will NOT be permitted.) The repertoire chosen must come from classical (contest-type) solo literature. Original compositions, choral selections, and non-classical pieces are inappropriate for these auditions.
- Students may audition in a maximum of two applied areas.
- Ten minutes will be allotted for each audition.
- Students are encouraged to bring their own accompanists. The college will furnish an accompanist if original music is received at least two weeks prior to audition. Music should be sent to the Wartburg Music Office. The use of reproduced copyrighted music is not acceptable and will result in disqualification unless written permission of the publisher is given.
- Applicants will be notified of audition times approximately seven days prior to their audition. Students who live more than 350 miles from Wartburg may submit a CD or DVD demonstrating their performance ability.
Eligibility and Selection
- Students must apply and be accepted for admission to Wartburg College prior to the audition.
- Scholarship selection is based on musical performance and ability as demonstrated at the audition.
- Scholarships are awarded to incoming first-year and transfer students.
- Scholarships are open to music and non-music majors.
- All applications for audition must be received one week prior to the selected audition date.
- Maintaining a music scholarship requires participation in an approved ensemble. Scholarships awarded at $2500 or above also require enrollment in music lessons both fall and winter terms. A student must receive at least a B- grade for their lesson in order to remain eligible for the following term.
- For scholarships at an amount less than $2500, students will be awarded a Music Ensemble Scholarship.
- Cannot be used for study abroad