Looking for an on-campus job that will work around your class and activity schedule and allow you to meet new people all while working in a fun and friendly environment? If you answered yes then Dining Services is the place for you! There are many different opportunities within Dining Services from customer service to behind the scenes production. We employ more than 10% of the student body, making us the largest employer of students on campus. If you’re looking to earn a few extra spending dollars or money to put towards tuition, Dining Services has a spot for you! Ready to apply? Click here to download an employment application or apply online through KnightLink.
First-Year Students – Don’t worry about getting your class schedule yet, we can access it through the Registrar’s Office and match you with the openings we have available. All we need to know is that you want to work and we will take it from there!
All Wartburg dining operations:
- Work around your class/activity schedule
- Allow you to meet new people
- Work at the operation of your choice
- Work in a fun, friendly environment
- Offer a pay rate ($7.25 per hour) competitive with private businesses
For more information on all Dining Service job opportunities, contact Jan Hyde at (319)352-8407 or e-mail her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
In Wartburg College's Dining Services, you will have an opportunity to work at a variety of dining operations:
- Mensa (Dining Hall) -- The Mensa provides students with a variety of job opportunities. Positions include servers, beverage suppliers, salad bar assistants, dessert presenters, and dish room operators. Responsibilities and hours are scheduled for an entire term and are flexible based on a student's class/activity schedule.
- The Konditorei -- The Konditorei is a coffeehouse that provides faculty/staff and students with one more option for good food and conversation. This unique area provides specialty hot and cold beverages as well as sweet treats and light meals. Students who choose to work here learn that service is the key to their operation and details make the difference.
- The Den-Rittersaal -- The Den provides upscale fast food, a complete salad bar and deli, grab-and-go items, and ice cream treats. Students who work here will learn that teamwork is key to providing good customer service and that many skills are needed to be a part of that team.
- The Zesty Orange -- The Zesty, located on the second floor of the Wartburg-Waverly Wellness Center, is the newest coffee shop on campus. The Zesty is open a vast amount of hours to serve the needs of its customers and offers a menu ranging from healthy items such as salads, wraps, smoothies, coffee drinks, bakery items, pasta plates, and personal pizzas.
- Special Events -- Special Events includes any meal that is served outside of the normal college serving schedule. Most special events will be hosted in one of the three rooms in Knight's Ballroom in the Student Center or various other locations on-campus. Special Events employees serve as waiters and waitresses for parties, meetings, receptions, and conventions where the college acts as host for special meals. Special Events students are assigned to work at events based on the availability.
- Production --If you enjoy being behind the scenes, a job in Production is for you. We have jobs in both the Kitchen and Bakery that provide an opportunity to meet with other students and also get to know our staff. Students who work in these areas learn general production, receiving, and sanitation skills as well as batch cooking. If you like to get "into your work," you'll enjoy working in Production.
Student Manager Program
Dining Services provides ample opportunities for job advancement. Regular crew employees may apply for management positions with the completion of their first year of work in Dining Services. Through this program a student can to a Manager who is responsible for the supervision of all employees on their shift. Responsibilities include line set-ups, menu verification, supervision of other college and high school employees, job assignments for shifts and enforcement of house procedures.
If you are interested in applying for a management position, please contact our student employment coordinator Jan Hyde.
Long-Term Management Training Internship Program
Dining Services offers a management training internship program that involves increasing responsibility based on the participants’ interest and spans three years. The purpose of this program is to immerse students in an all-encompassing business so they can see all aspects, from daily operations to being involved in long term goal setting, and learning the long term implications of daily activities and decisions.