May 2004 HRM Test 2 Study Suggestions
*What did you learn about HR trends from your fieldtrip to CUNA Mutual and John Deere’s Ann Campbell?
Chapter 7: Training and Developing Employees
· What is the difference between socialization and orientation?
· How do training and development differ?
· What are trends in training and development?
· *What are the steps in the training process?
· *What principles can a trainer employ to make the process more effective?
· What is negligent training? Its effects?
· How do performance and task analysis differ?
· What is OJT? Review the other types of training and their advantages and disadvantages.
· *Why and when would you use on-the-job training versus off-the-job training?
· *Describe the four basic categories of training evaluation.
Chapter 8: Managing Organizational Renewal
· What is involved with cultural development?
· What are organizational intervention developments?
· Describe the components of Lewin’s change model.
· Who is responsible for organizational development?
· What is sensitivity training? How does it differ from team building training?
· What are the purposes of employee attitude surveys?
· What are the steps in integrated strategic management?
· What is ISO-900? Malcolm Baldridge Awards?
· What is the purpose of Six Sigma?
· What is the purpose of self-directed teams?
· What is business process reengineering?
· How do flextime and job sharing differ? What are the pros and cons of flextime and the four-day workweek?
· *Describe how HR helps to build effective teams.
· *Describe HR’s role in managing organizational change.
Chapter 9: Performance Appraisal
· *What are the steps in the performance appraisal process?
· Review the advantages and disadvantages of the various types of performance appraisal systems: graphic rating scales, alternative ranking method, paired comparison method, forced distribution method, critical incident method, narrative forms, BARS, MBO, computerized and web-based performance appraisals?
· Why do companies tend to mix methods of appraisals to build their own system?
· What biases develop with appraisal systems: halo effect, central tendency, strictness/lenience, etc.
· Review the ways to make performance appraisal systems more legally defensible (no listing ?’s”
· Who should appraise…
· What is a 360-degree feedback system?
· What are the types of goals for the appraisal interview depending upon the promotability of the employee?
· *What HR/management strategies should you use to help to make the appraisal interview more effective? (presumes you are delivering, not receiving it)
Chapter 10: Managing Careers and Fair Treatment
· *Contrast and compare the role of the employer and the employee in career management
· What is the role of the realistic job preview?
· What topics might be developed in a career planning workshop?
· How do job rotation and mentoring fit into the career management process?
· What information is needed to determine the promotability of employees?
· Why are the details of the job posting program important?
· What communication roles does HR take on to improve the organization’s effectiveness?
· Why does HR need to oversee the disciplinary process? Why is fairness needed?
· What types of information will you expect to find in an employee handbook?
· *How can employers protect against wrongful discharge suits?
· If you were required to conduct a termination interview, what tactics would you use?
· What restrictions does the plant closing law (Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act) place upon employers?
· *What alternatives does a company have if they need to downsize?
· With early retirement incentives, what issues develop?
· What is the role of outplacement agencies? Exit interviews?
· *What did you learn from the “What if” game in class?