NATIONAL, REGIONAL RECOGNITION
- One of five colleges to receive the Washington Center’s inaugural Higher Education Civic Engagement Award for service-learning and community engagement.
- Nationally classified by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching as one of 12 exclusively baccalaureate colleges that foster experiential learning and community engagement.
- Named seven consecutive times to the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll, twice “with distinction,” in recognition of volunteer efforts by Wartburg students.
- Winner of NetImpact’s 2012 “Small Steps, Big Wins Challenge,” a national competition among universities and colleges rewarding social and environmental actions.
- One of only 34 colleges in the Central U.S. region profiled by Colleges of Distinction.
- Ranked in the Princeton Review as one of the best colleges is the Midwest region.
- Listed in Peterson’s Top Colleges for Science among 200 schools with outstanding programs in science and mathematics.
- One of two colleges in Iowa to be nationally recognized by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education for its elementary-education program.
Ranked in Barron’s Best Buys in College Education among 247 schools providing first-rate education at an affordable price.
Included among the first-tier Best National Liberal Arts Colleges as ranked by U.S. News and World Report.
- Ranked No. 7 by among national universities and liberal arts colleges by U.S. News and World Report as an “overperformer” in graduation rates for students from low-income families.
- Ranked No. 15 for short-term study abroad among all baccalaureate colleges during 2011-12 by the Institute of International Education.
- State-of-the-art science center, communication arts facility and sports and wellness center (The W).
- Enrollment: 1,714 students
- Geographical representation: 30 U.S. states and a record 60 countries (including the USA)
- Record Diversity: 193 U.S. students of color and 165 international students comprise a record 20.9% of total enrollment
- Largest majors (rank order): biology, business administration, communication arts, elementary education, psychology
- Retention rate: 85.1%
- Ratio of men to women: 47% to 53%
- Students involved in music: Approximately 450
- Students involved in athletics: Nearly 600
- Students receiving financial aid: More than 90%
- First-year students in top 10% of high school class: 26%
- Average ACT score for first-year students: 23.3
- Average high school grade point average: 3.44
- Average class size:19
- Student-faculty ratio: 11:1
- Full-time faculty: 109
- Ranked faculty with highest degree in discipline: 89%
- Endowed positions: 1 distinguished chair, 10 endowed chairs, 5 endowed professorships
CLASS OF 2012
- Studied abroad: 52%
- Completed an academic internship: 32%
- Earned honors: (3.5 - 4.0): 33%
- Earned highest honors: (3.85 - 4.0):11%
- Graduated in four years or less: 93%
- 2011 job, graduate school placement: 97%
- Remained in Iowa:75% of Iowa residents; 41% of residents of other U.S. states; 36% of international students
- Medical school placement: 88.5% since 2003, double the national average of 46%
- Placement in health-related programs in past 10 years: 100% in optometry, podiatry, chiropractic medicine, nursing, pharmacy, occupational therapy, medical technology; 92% in physical therapy; 94% in veterinary medicine; 85% in dentistry
OTHER ITEMS OF INTEREST
- Facilities: 12 new buildings since 1990, most recently the $31 million Wartburg-Waverly Sports & Wellness Center
- Endowment value: $49 million, an increase of more than 65% over the past decade
- 4-4-1 Calendar: Fall Term (4 courses), Winter Term (4 courses), May Term (1 course)
- Wartburg's social work program is the oldest undergraduate program of its kind in Iowa.
- Wartburg is the only private college in Iowa offering a major in music therapy.
- The Wartburg West program in Denver Colo. provides opportunities for experiential learning in an urban setting
- Current costs and financial aid
- Low crime rate
- Value of a Lutheran college education!
Specific Program Accreditation: