By Katie Kreis ’19

Madison Bloker

Madison Bloker

For years, Madison Bloker ’19 has kept a daily journal chronicling her personal story, but recently she found this outlet wasn’t enough. The Clarksville native with a passion for writing needed to find a wider audience to share her faith and stories with, as well as the stories of the people she has met along the way.

This passion led to the creation of her blog, www.boundblessings.com, and eventually a printed devotional, also called Bound Blessings. Bloker didn’t stop there, though. A portion of the proceeds from her book will be donated to Wartburg College Dance Marathon to raise money for the University of Iowa Stead Family Children’s Hospital.

“From the beginning, I knew that I wanted to have a connection with the University of Iowa Stead Family Children’s Hospital through Dance Marathon. I look forward to raising money for them through this book and others in the future,” said Bloker, who is on the Wartburg Dance Marathon executive team.

The devotional focuses on seven subjects with 21 write-ups for each subject “because of the saying that it takes 21 days to form a habit,” Bloker said.

“It’s amazing to see how this book has changed and developed. I look forward to using the other ideas that came about throughout the process and move forward with other books in the future.”

Bound Blessings is $15 with 50 percent of all book sale profits donated to Dance Marathon. The book is available at The Wartburg Store in Saemann Student Center or on Bloker’s website. She will do a book signing at the Waverly Pizza Ranch on Friday, March 23, at 5 p.m. Books also will be available during Dance Marathon on Saturday, March 24, from 3-5 p.m., in The W.

“I have 470 books to sell. Every copy of Bound Blessings I sell will go toward this year’s Dance Marathon or the following year. I say my goal is to sell 100 books on Push Day (a last-minute, concentrated fundraising effort by all Dance Marathon participants), but my real goal is to sell all 470 of the print books between Thursday, March 22, and Saturday, March 24.”

She hopes to give a copy of the book to each family that attends the Wartburg College Dance Marathon and make them available at the Stead Family Children’s Hospital.

“The whole goal of the book, blog, and website are to follow my tagline to ‘Inspire, Uplift, Enlighten,’ and that’s what I aim to do,” Bloker said. “Perseverance, positivity, and radiance are examples of topics discussed. One chapter is about beauty for kids who are going through treatments. Another is connecting to faith; some kids are scared to death because they don’t know what tomorrow will bring. The book isn’t specifically targeted toward the kids, but it’s definitely applicable and would be encouraging for them to read.”