By Katie Kreis ’19

Jasmyne Jones ’18 was searching for a post-graduation job. What she found was the experience of a lifetime.

The journalism and communication major recently spent 10 days in Minneapolis working for Super Bowl Experience 2018, the NFL’s interactive theme park at the Minneapolis Convention Center. The eight-day event included a virtual reality NFL experience, autographs from NFL players, football-themed games against NFL players on LED screens, NFL Flag clinics, a Play 60 Zone for young children, and an NFL Shop.

“The whole inside of the convention center was decked out in LED lights, there were stations for the Lombardi Trophy and all the Super Bowl rings, and you could get pictures taken to be put on Super Bowl tickets,” said Jones of Cedar Rapids.

Though she missed 10 class days, Jones was able to work ahead and complete assignments online to participate in this unique opportunity.

Jasmyne Jones

“You just have to dive in and take a chance to get experience. Even if it’s not exactly what you’re looking for, you can figure out what you like and don’t like,” she said.

For Jones, whose academic work is focused on organizational public relations, working at an event of this caliber and networking with people from across the country was incredible.

“That’s one thing I love about going into event management is that you can make it anything you want, and it’s amazing when it turns out. This experience definitely assured me that I’m going into the right career field, so that was a great takeaway.”

She also learned she likely won’t be seeking permanent employment in a large metro area.

“My first day of work, I got off at the wrong bus stop and I got lost in downtown Minneapolis for 45 minutes by myself. I walked around downtown bawling for a long time. My tears were freezing and I was just walking around. I do not like the city life, and public transportation is not my thing.”

Though Jones is a Seattle Seahawks fan, she rooted for the Philadelphia Eagles during Super Bowl LII.

“I had the opportunity to work the Super Bowl ring station, so I got to see the loop of the Patriots ring ceremony every 15 minutes. It would’ve been cool to see the them win another ring, but it was nice to see the underdog finally win,” she said. “Everyone was there to make a memorable experience for those who attended. It was great to see everyone’s excited faces. This is going to be a memory that they, and I, have forever.”