Keeping the faith

Robert Acosta

By Mark Adkins ’90

Injuries had sidelined Robert Acosta ’09 for three years when a last-chance opportunity landed him on a soccer pitch in Sweden last summer. 

“My surgeon had plainly told me ‘your body needs to reset,’” Acosta said. “So, I made the difficult decision and returned home to Arizona to live with my family and work. I was very discouraged, thinking I had played soccer for the last time.” 

Acosta, who played on three regular-season and one Iowa Conference tournament championship teams at Wartburg, hit the books, learning everything he could about fitness and nutrition in hopes of finding success as a personal trainer. He also turned to the one thing that had guided him over and around other hurdles throughout his life: his strong faith.

“There was a lot of prayer and silent time spent with the Lord when I was at home,” he said.

After resting his body, Acosta accepted an invitation to play in Rochester, N.Y. One season later, his faith led him back to Iowa where he played with the Cedar Rapids Rampage, an indoor soccer team. From there, he connected with Bridges Football Club, a Chicago-based group that provides everything from housing and professional training to a platform for building character, leadership, and service.  

“So, last March, I packed up and left for Chicago,” he said.  “I lived with 11 other guys in an apartment. We trained every day, twice a day—an hour and a half in the morning and then two hours in the afternoon through May and June. When the first of July rolled around, Bridges took us to Denmark, setting up matches against different premier division squads. From there, if anyone was interested, we could try out for their team. If they liked you enough, a contract offer could follow.”

Acosta still had one challenge in front of him: His agent didn’t want him to pursue the Bridges opportunity. However, in late July, the defender was released from his contract, signed his first outdoor professional contract, and began his Swedish sojourn.

“It was surreal,” he said. “I always knew deep down it could happen, but with the injuries from age 24 to 27 and not getting many chances to play anywhere after that, I didn’t know if a contract would happen. The Lord was looking out for me. I was just so blessed to get another chance.”

Acosta’s team, the IFK As, were in the fourth division of the Swedish professional league. 

“It was very competitive,” he said. “Just like throughout Europe, there is promotion and relegation, so the club wants to be the best it can so it can move up into top-flight divisions. IFK As is on the rise, as it started in the seventh division. We did have a chance to go into the third division late last season.”

In addition to spending time on the pitch, Acosta also enjoyed exploring Sweden during his downtime. 

“I loved Sweden,” he said. “It was the exact opposite of Arizona, very mountainous with plenty of green. I’m a nature freak, so I got into hiking and seeing the beauty of the area.”

When his time with the IFK As wrapped up in the fall, Acosta found himself setting out on a new adventure stateside with the St. Louis Ambush indoor club. He’s not worried about starting fresh with a new team. Since leaving Wartburg he’s played for four professional arena soccer teams and three amateur teams.

For now, he’s focused on bringing his best game to his new team and building his personal training business on the side. Where he goes after St. Louis is unknown.

But that’s not a problem for Acosta. He’ll continue to keep the faith.