Wartburg College will celebrate Saint Elizabeth Week, an observance devoted to community activism and service, Nov. 14-20.
Saint Elizabeth Week, organized by Wartburg’s Volunteer Action Center, includes activities developed by students from Habitat for Humanity, Manna, Campus Ministry, Students for Peace and Justice and Student Senate.
“The entire week focuses around hunger and homelessness, and we are partnering with agencies that impact those populations,” said Kristin Teig Torres, assistant director of the Center for Community Engagement.
Saint Elizabeth Week honors the legacy of the 13th-century German woman who built a hospital, fed the hungry and assisted the poor. After her death in 1231, Pope Gregory IX proclaimed her a saint. This week is held in conjunction with National Hunger and Homeless Awareness week.
The Saint Elizabeth Week celebration begins with a launch event featuring live music performances and food Saturday, Nov. 14, 6-8 p.m., in Cardinal Commons between Grossmann and Löhe halls.
The St. Elizabeth Chorale will provide music for a worship service Sunday, Nov. 15, 10:15 a.m., in Wartburg Chapel.
New this year will be a Bread Night in the residence halls Sunday, Nov. 15, at 7 p.m. Students will get bread samples and learn more about the week’s events. Also new is the Backpack Pack Tuesday, Nov. 17, 11 a.m., in Hoover Fieldhouse. About 1,000 backpacks will be filled for the Northeast Iowa Food Bank during the two-hour service session.
Other Saint Elizabeth Week activities include:
- A weeklong clothing drive with boxes in all residence halls and Saemann Student Center.
- Stop ’N’ Serve, where students and community members can write cards to children in need Monday, Nov. 16, 10:45 a.m.-1:15 p.m., in Saemann Student Center. The Northeast Iowa Food Bank will distribute the cards.
- The Food for Hoops food drive during the Sunday, Nov. 15, home basketball game. All donations will benefit the Northeast Iowa Food Bank.
- The Saint Elizabeth Week Chapel Wednesday, Nov. 19, 10:15 a.m. The Pastor Larry Trachte Award for Service, St. Elizabeth Student Award for Service and the Community Partner Award will be presented during the service.
- A Saint Elizabeth Eucharist service Wednesday, Nov. 19, 9 p.m., in the Wartburg Chapel.
- A Voices of the Issues panel Thursday, Nov. 20, 11:30 a.m., in Wartburg Chapel.
- Making blankets for children at Bremwood Thursday, Nov. 19, 5-7 p.m., in McCoy East of Saemann Student Center.