Wartburg College alumni and friends will come “Home for the Knight” for Homecoming and Family Weekend Oct. 1-4.
The two traditional events are being combined for the first time this fall.
“There is no greater opportunity to experience so many parts of campus life in one visit,” said Renee Voves, director of alumni and parent relations and annual giving. “We hope everyone can take a few moments to enjoy the sights and sounds of our beautiful campus while supporting our students during this special weekend.”
The public is invited to traditional Homecoming events, including Kastle Kapers, the student variety show; the Renaissance Faire, featuring student organizations, off-campus vendors and family-friendly activities; the football game and the parade.
Kastle Kapers kicks off the festivities Thursday, 8 p.m., in Neumann Auditorium, followed immediately by the coronation of the Homecoming king and queen. A pep rally begins at 9:45 p.m. in Levick Arena. The presentation of the Homecoming court at 8:45 p.m. An encore performance of Kastle Kapers begins at 9 p.m. Friday.
Children ages 3-12 are invited to take part in the annual Wartburg Track & Field Youth Meet Saturday, 8:30-10 a.m., in the Hoover Fieldhouse & Track in the Wartburg-Waverly Sports & Wellness Center. Register by Sept. 30 at www.wartburg.edu/alumni/homecoming.aspx.
The Homecoming parade, which follows Fifth Street Northwest and Bremer Avenue, begins at 10 a.m. Saturday. Renowned opera singer Simon Estes will serve as grand marshal. The Renaissance Faire on the campus mall begins at 10:30 a.m.
The Knights will take on the Central College Dutch at 1:30 p.m. in Walston-Hoover Stadium, followed by Oktoberfest from 4 to 6:30 p.m.
The W will offer $5 admission to the public Friday through Sunday.
The public also is invited to:
- “Frame of Reference” art exhibit by Eliza Au, daily, 9 a.m.-7 p.m., Waldemar A. Schmidt Gallery, Bachman Fine Arts Center.
- “Bach’s Lunch” organ recital and lecture, Friday, noon, Wartburg Chapel Commons.
- Early Morning Knight Run/Walk, Saturday, 8 a.m., Walston-Hoover Stadium.
- Dan Huston Cross Country Invitational, Saturday, 10:30 a.m., Max Cross Country Course.
- Wartburg Community Symphony concert, “Autumn Ovation,” Saturday, 8 p.m., Neumann Auditorium.
- Wartburg Choir concert, Sunday, 2:30 p.m., Wartburg Chapel.
- Wartburg Wind Ensemble concert, Sunday, 3:30 p.m., Neumann Auditorium.
- Men’s soccer vs. Augsburg, Sunday, 7 p.m., soccer field.
The full schedule of events is available at www.wartburg.edu/homecoming.